The ETS Discussion Hall

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where there's a place for everything (ok, maybe not EVERYTHING, but close to everything at least).

Tech & World News, Computer Stuff, Martial Arts, Sports, Music, etc. in one single place.

Welcome to the discussion hall in Expert Technology Storehouse! The name says it all. We are a storehouse storing everything from computer stuff and knowledge (expert, BTW...), to tech & world news, martial arts, sports, music...and someday useful software as well. Want to join? We welcome new members, especially experts at stuff!

Latest topics

» Compatibility Sword
Compatibility Sword EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:17 pm by Coolname007

» Adcted mu online
Compatibility Sword EmptyMon May 09, 2011 1:15 am by Guest

» The Introduction Thread
Compatibility Sword EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:36 pm by Coolname007

» Count to one million!
Compatibility Sword EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:22 pm by Coolname007

» Funny Guy!
Compatibility Sword EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 11:25 pm by Coolname007

» China says police killed 12 in Urumqi rioting
Compatibility Sword EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 6:14 pm by fvwizard

» Arieth Mu Online
Compatibility Sword EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 2:46 pm by Coolname007

» MAW - Make A Website
Compatibility Sword EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:12 am by Coolname007

» AVACS LIVE CHAT free chat software for mobiles and computer
Compatibility Sword EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 2:19 pm by Coolname007

3 posters

Compatibility Sword

Justin
    Justin
    PC Support Tech/Moderator

Compatibility Sword Empty Compatibility Sword

Post by Justin Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Current version: 2.5
    Developer: Justin (me)
    To obtain more information about and CSword itself see here.

Compatibility Sword (or CSword as its often referred to as) is a very lightweight (less than 100KB) application that works wonders to bring Windows to compatibility terms with some of your older applications that don't care to function otherwise in newer versions of Windows (especially UAC enabled environments like Windows Vista or Windows 7). Where'd the name come from? Sword is the knight's offensive tool, and since UAC (represented by a colorful shield) seems to stop some older applications dead in their track the name seemed most appropriate. Compatibility Sword was designed with the user in mind. That is, its small enough to be portable, does exactly what the user expects it to, and doesn't leave any traces of itself behind when done. It is the compatibility tool of choice for anyone's portable toolkit. CSword is great as a regular tool of use now thanks to integration of former utility FileDir2Prompt's features, which allow you to quickly open a command prompt window to a paticular directory or keep a console window open for a console application that would normally close and prevent you from seeing the output or providing any additonal commands. You never haft to alter the file properties yourself or worry about anything being left behind. Let CSword take care of all the work of application compatibility matters and concentrate at the task at hand with the older application. Administrators well appreciate Compatibility Sword's ability to be scripted, because CSword can also run all common functions from the command line. Setting up a simple script or shortcut for end users to adjust compatibility settings has never been as easy until now.

You may want to read up on it and some of the tutorials posted here.

Last edited by Justin on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:45 pm; edited 11 times in total
    Justin
    Justin

Compatibility Sword Empty Re: Compatibility Sword

Post by Justin Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:09 am

Anyone with a previous version of CSword to 1.3 should go get 1.3. A lot has changed from the orginal release and some major bugs have been fixed. Its been hetic the last few days (put out 3 different versions), but hopefully this'll be the last for awhile and I don't find any other bugs to work on fixing Smile

I'll go ahead and list the changes here from orginal release for those interested:

It was a pain not being able to run CSword correctly on a flash drive, so added workaround for non-NTFS partition UAC bug that makes CSword unable to run other applications or itself with admin rights or change the system date if needed. How this works is that CSword well prompt you and if you say yes CSword well copy itself over to the system partition (which should hopefully be NTFS by now) and run from there for the current session (not to worry portable app crazy people, it removes itself when its done).
    Tabbing now goes to the next closest or appropriate control like it should (for you keyboard people)
    Re-did some of the labeling again to make it SUPER clear that you cannot change the system date or run an application with admin rights without being an admin. Self explainatory, but hey...
    Discovered & patched a "File cannot be found" error returned when CSword is used in XP with a custom date (yeah... XP error, not VISTA error)
    You can now tell if the instance you have up of CSword has admin rights or not; prefixes window caption with "Administrator:" like an administrator command prompt in Vista does
    Took out some uneeded error messages that could potentially display without focus, causing an instance with errors to stay open and one more button in the task bar you don't need that most probably wouldn't notice (unless you take to flashing orange taskbar buttons like I do).
    Self-administrative feature in GUI now saves profiles so changes made to them in the same session are not lost.
    Date changing has been integrated with CSword itself so there is only one application included in the download, saving a few dozen extra KBs of space normally needed for adate and reducing the download by ~5KB from the last version.
    Limit on GUI not being able to run executible files other than .exe have been removed. I had this on to help prevent users from selecting files they didnt actually want to use. Use through the command line has never been locked down, so niether now is the GUI. Be careful when you're browsing for files to select the correct application you want to use
    Added ability to disable advanced text services (/text parameter added for command line use)
    Added ability to get version information from command line (/version,/about added)
    CSword can now run itself with administrative access as needed (/uacme parameter added for command line use; not to be used with any other parameters and applies /dontwait automatically)
    Underwent some major changes in how CSword handles profiles and thier settings under the hood
    Fixed some discovered parameter errors in last release that caused CSword to load GUI without OS modes (let me know if you find any and i'll fix them)
    Renamed some of the controls to be less confusing to an average user
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:53 pm

Just tried out v1.3 of CSword. Just curious, but why did you not include the command-line tool "adate.exe" with it like you did with v1.1?
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:20 pm

CSword handles date changing by itself now.
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

kairozamorro wrote:CSword handles date changing by itself now.
    Oh, I guess I assumed it did that already with 1.0.
    I thought you included the command-line utility to do more advanced stuff. To be honest, I haven't even played around very much with CSword yet, and I only started "adate.exe" for the first time today (after I already asked that question). And so I then learned it was only to change the date.

Anyway, just as kind of a test, I opened it up with FileDir2Prompt 1.1, and I must admit its much easier to do that now with its GUI than dragging over the command-line app onto it. Smile Its also a lot quicker than browsing to the directory an application is at via the command-line, and starting it that way. Good job. Now I just wish you would port it to Linux, so I can use it in Ubuntu... Basketball
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:59 pm

Getting there. Right now i'm playing around with W7. I don't got an Ubuntu install at the moment. Really I've just been too lazy to go download the latest version. I still got 7.10 discs here lol
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:50 pm

kairozamorro wrote:Getting there. Right now i'm playing around with W7. I don't got an Ubuntu install at the moment. Really I've just been too lazy to go download the latest version. I still got 7.10 discs here lol
    Lol, actually I have not upgraded yet to the latest version myself either. I'm still using 8.10. Why did you get rid of Ubuntu?
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:01 am

Well NDISWrapper was a @!##$ to setup for my wireless. I had Ubuntu on an external drive along with Fedora but needed it for something else. I had Ubuntu on the laptop itself but I had trouble again with NDISWrapper for my wireless and just got PO. I needed the space for storage anywho. I'm probably gonna VM it in VBox so I don't haft to burn another disc. Honestly I dont know when I'll be able to port it to linux. I'm so .net dependant now it aint funny sad

Anyway, I got your message on FileDir2Prompt. I'm glad you've found it useful Smile
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:06 am

Hmm...interesting. The wireless worked right out of the box for me, with Ubuntu.

What wireless card are you using?
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:11 am

Dell 1390
    Maybe its supported on the newer versions, I don't know. Oh well, doesnt matter really. I can just bridge my wireless connection under Windows with VBox and it'll act like a lan to the Ubuntu VM Smile
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:26 am

Ok. Well, if you ever want to install it again to its own dedicated partition, see this guide for setting up Ndiswrapper for your wireless card. It might make it easier.
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Compatibility Sword documentation completed Smile
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Nice! Smile
    I'll probably download it, and see if there's anything I'm missing. Wink
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:29 am

CSword 1.4 Released
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:31 am

Cool! Very Happy
    So what's changed since 1.3?
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Changes from 1.3 to 1.4:

Changed up GUI a little bit (re-worded a few things yet again with more detail)

Did some code tweaking and removed uneeded stuff, resulting in a smaller release than 1.3 (possibly faster too?)

File/Folder buttons added to make life easier appending paths to files/folders to command line arguments you'd like to pass to the application

Handling of the workaround for non-NTFS partitions is done automatically now without asking the user (this is so I don't get someone saying they got a long message, clicked no, and than administrative tasks didn't work for them)

The 20 profiles max limit has been removed
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:58 pm

kairozamorro wrote:Changes from 1.3 to 1.4:

Changed up GUI a little bit (re-worded a few things yet again with more detail)

Did some code tweaking and removed uneeded stuff, resulting in a smaller release than 1.3 (possibly faster too?)

File/Folder buttons added to make life easier appending paths to files/folders to command line arguments you'd like to pass to the application

Handling of the workaround for non-NTFS partitions is done automatically now without asking the user (this is so I don't get someone saying they got a long message, clicked no, and than administrative tasks didn't work for them)

The 20 profiles max limit has been removed
    Cool, so how many profiles can you have now?
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:13 pm

More than enough, thousands...
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:27 pm

kairozamorro wrote:More than enough, thousands...
    Lol, that many? Very Happy
    That's cool.
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:39 pm

CSword 1.5 released a few weeks ago. Fixes some bugs and allows you to use /uacme when CSword's on a non-NTFS partition.
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:25 am

Compatibility Sword 2.0 re-write w/ FileDir2Prompt functionality released Smile.
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:39 am

Cool. Just downloaded it.
    I'm going to go try it out now...
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:20 am

2.0.0.2 released. Fixes problems in XP using custom date in user interface and prevents applications from automatically being assumed to be console applications when elevated. "Cancel" was re-worded to be less confusing, thanks Jake.
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:32 am

Well looks like a rock solid build I'm pleased to announce. 2.1's a major release. CSword now incoporates logging ability for troubleshooting problems as well as some implemented changes/improvements and further bug fixes (thanks Jake for the suggestions!)
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:34 am

Cool. Smile
    I'll go try the new (newest) version now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am