Where there's a place for everything (ok, maybe not EVERYTHING, but close to everything at least).

Tech & World News, Computer Stuff, Martial Arts, Sports, Music, etc. in one single place.

Welcome to the discussion hall in Expert Technology Storehouse! The name says it all. We are a storehouse storing everything from computer stuff and knowledge (expert, BTW...), to tech & world news, martial arts, sports, music...and someday useful software as well. Want to join? We welcome new members, especially experts at stuff!

Latest topics

» Compatibility Sword
Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:17 pm by Coolname007

» Adcted mu online
Mon May 09, 2011 1:15 am by Guest

» The Introduction Thread
Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:36 pm by Coolname007

» Count to one million!
Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:22 pm by Coolname007

» Funny Guy!
Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:25 pm by Coolname007

» China says police killed 12 in Urumqi rioting
Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:14 pm by fvwizard

» Arieth Mu Online
Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:46 pm by Coolname007

» MAW - Make A Website
Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:12 am by Coolname007

» AVACS LIVE CHAT free chat software for mobiles and computer
Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:19 pm by Coolname007

Ideas for Site

Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Ideas for Site

Post by Coolname007 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Well, here are some ideas for the site that I've come up with (but haven't implemented yet) so far. As always, everyone is free to offer suggestions, tips, or whatever that may help the development of ETS.

Ideas For Site:

Experts:

1. Create a client-based email software, which certified “experts” can use to contact each other, or anyone else on the web. The idea behind that was to have one special "ExpertOfTheYear@ETS-Connection.net" email address which all email sent using the ETS software would be automatically forwarded to, regardless of the initial recipient(s). So make sure not to send anything TOO secret! Stick out tongue The idea was to have the inbox of that special email address accessible to only the "expert" chosen as the "Expert of the Year" each year. And each "expert" is given a fair shot at becoming the Expert of the Year, so that only destiny will decide who that is.
    2. Create a colorful web-based program which will keep track of who is and who isn't an expert, and will automatically update a member's status to display “expert at x-subject” when they have successfully completed a course, and received their certification as an expert. This program will ideally sort experts, so that each passed student will go to the appropriate “expert” section for their subject.
    3. When a member becomes an expert, he should be given special privileges on the site that are not held by normal members, so that he is appropriately separated and credited for becoming an expert.

Expert Courses:

1. Ideally, there should be a separate course for each subject field, i.e computer science, martial arts, or whatever. Each course will be logically divided into related sections.
    2. Each section should finish with a challenge or test to put the reader's knowledge to practical application, and test whether he has really be learning the subject or not. This way, the course is both fun and educational. Each section's test or challenge will also affect the subject's overall score at the end of the course, to determine whether he or she passed or failed.
    3. Also, each course should take the time to explain complex matters in normal real-world examples, so that no matter how intelligent the reader is, it becomes crystal-clear.
    4. At the end of the course, the user/reader/student will be presented a webpage on whether they passed or failed, and the overall score will be presented. If they passed, a signal will be sent to the “expert” program to tell it to add the user's account to the “expert” list, and the category will depend on the subject of the course.
    5. To make this “course” web-based program re-usable for each separate course, the data could be hidden inside a class, and I could use methods to dynamically give the different elements (such as course/section titles, or whatever) names (i.e. each object of the class could be different). That way, each time I need a new course on the site, I can just easily create a new object of the afore-mentioned class, and specify names for everything. This would make the task of writing code for each new course more manageable, and more easily dealt with. Javascript could probably be used for both the “expert” and “course” programs.

News:

1. The “news” application will ideally get data from major news websites, such as cnn.com, cnbc, etc. The data should be presented in a colorful manner, I.e. everything should be formatted correctly, text, images, etc.
    2. For each website, there should be a separate tabbed page, i.e. this program should be a multi-page (or tab) application, so that the data from each website is presented on a separate tab but same webpage.
    3. Now, what I have in mind is, to put the links to every new article generated on the news websites in a simple list in said tab. Only the links in this case will actually be linking the individual article displayed inside ETS. By clicking an individual link, the data displayed on the individual tab will change to show the stuff for that individual article. Obviously, I'll have it put the links to the original article on that page, so that the user can read it on the original site if he wants to.
    4. Also, this “news” web-based application will not just simply be copying news from other sources. I should also have a section for users to write new articles (which could be displayed on a separate tab of the same .html page, or possibly elsewhere on the page) pertaining to whatever news they're aware of in their area, so that way, the whole “news” picture happening around us every day will all be available at ETS.
    5. Now, obviously, each tabbed page which shows the links for recent articles on major news website should categorize them properly, for example “U.S News”, “Economics”, or whatever.

Technology:

1. Since the main focus of ETS should be of course technology, I'll have a similar application which will fetch from major technology websites the latest tech news, but beyond that, I'll also be sure to cover different aspects of the latest technology on the site, using various methods. I haven't quite got that one figured out yet, but I'll work on it some more when I get the time.

Martial Arts:

1. The idea behind the martial arts section of the site will be to cover the philosophies and fighting styles of various martial arts (starting with the mainstream styles: karate, judo, tae kwon do, kung fu, etc.), in addition to presenting histories of said styles, etc.

Sports:

1. Like the news and technology sections of the site, I'll retrieve the latest sports news from major sports websites, as well as presenting backgrounds for each major sport, i.e. the site should cover how each sport came to be.
    2. In order to be unique, I may also come up with other ideas too.

As you can see, I've pretty much got my work cut out for me. Wink

Last edited by Coolname007 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Help ETS by joining today, and contributing content! Your help is very much appreciated.

Jake Johnson - Site Admin/Owner

Founder of Expert Technology Storehouse.
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Re: Ideas for Site

Post by Coolname007 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:35 am

Changed announcement to sticky.

Help ETS by joining today, and contributing content! Your help is very much appreciated.

Jake Johnson - Site Admin/Owner

Founder of Expert Technology Storehouse.

Current date/time is Mon May 28, 2018 2:45 am