The ETS Discussion Hall

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where there's a place for everything (ok, maybe not EVERYTHING, but close to everything at least).

Tech & World News, Computer Stuff, Martial Arts, Sports, Music, etc. in one single place.

Welcome to the discussion hall in Expert Technology Storehouse! The name says it all. We are a storehouse storing everything from computer stuff and knowledge (expert, BTW...), to tech & world news, martial arts, sports, music...and someday useful software as well. Want to join? We welcome new members, especially experts at stuff!

Latest topics

» Compatibility Sword
Compatibility Sword - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:17 pm by Coolname007

» Adcted mu online
Compatibility Sword - Page 3 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 1:15 am by Guest

» The Introduction Thread
Compatibility Sword - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:36 pm by Coolname007

» Count to one million!
Compatibility Sword - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:22 pm by Coolname007

» Funny Guy!
Compatibility Sword - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 11:25 pm by Coolname007

» China says police killed 12 in Urumqi rioting
Compatibility Sword - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 6:14 pm by fvwizard

» Arieth Mu Online
Compatibility Sword - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 2:46 pm by Coolname007

» MAW - Make A Website
Compatibility Sword - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:12 am by Coolname007

» AVACS LIVE CHAT free chat software for mobiles and computer
Compatibility Sword - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 2:19 pm by Coolname007

3 posters

Compatibility Sword

Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Compatibility Sword - Page 3 Empty Re: Compatibility Sword

Post by Coolname007 Sun May 09, 2010 7:46 pm

Discussion split to here since we got off-topic (my fault). Smile
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Sun May 09, 2010 10:34 pm

Hmm...I tried running it through Wine, but it wouldn't run. No error messages, nothing.
    A bit disappointing, but oh well. sad

I also tried the installer for EasyBCD beta 90, and that did run, but I didn't install it yet.
    Justin
    Justin
    PC Support Tech/Moderator

Post by Justin Mon May 10, 2010 6:50 pm

The installer runs cause its not .net, but something like EasyBCD thats needs access to the registry probably won't work under Linux. Give it a try though, it would be awesome if you could get it working Smile
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Moved to new blog, see new link in OP.
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:15 pm

So you stopped development on CSword and TRT?
    Any new projects you're working on now? Smile

Btw, the Cr48 notebook for the Chrome OS sounds awesome.

Any idea when it will be released, and how much it will cost?
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:59 am

The cr-48 is a beta prototype notebook from Google. 60,000 are/were handed out to users to participate in Chrome OS's beta program. I'm one of the lucky few (in fact I"m typing this up on mine right now). Google has a partnership with Acer and Samsung, who are developing their own Chrome notebooks. These notebooks well cost between $200-$300. They are super easy to setup, auto-updating, and just down right amazing in terms of battery life. Us beta users are reporting issues and improving Chrome OS on a daily basis. Google wants to get these notebooks out to the masses sometime this year, but we'll see how that goes.

As for csword/trt, yes... at least for right now. Real life has taken priority, and quite honestly, I'm more interested in development for the web at this point.
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 am

Justin wrote:The cr-48 is a beta prototype notebook from Google. 60,000 are/were handed out to users to participate in Chrome OS's beta program. I'm one of the lucky few (in fact I"m typing this up on mine right now). Google has a partnership with Acer and Samsung, who are developing their own Chrome notebooks. These notebooks well cost between $200-$300. They are super easy to setup, auto-updating, and just down right amazing in terms of battery life. Us beta users are reporting issues and improving Chrome OS on a daily basis. Google wants to get these notebooks out to the masses sometime this year, but we'll see how that goes.

As for csword/trt, yes... at least for right now. Real life has taken priority, and quite honestly, I'm more interested in development for the web at this point.
    Right. I meant the release version of the cr-48, whatever that's going to be called.
    Pretty cool. I think I might buy one when it comes out.

(Feel free to split this discussion, btw, if you don't want it in your CSword thread)

I assume Google has web apps already out to do mostly everything one might want to do on the Chrome notebook? And are these apps freely available to users who own a Chrome notebook, or do you have to pay for them?
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 am

Web apps can be ran from any browser on any computer (not just a CR-48). For example, ever get on Facebook? Yep, thats a web app. Some are free, some are not. Google has many web apps (thats what they're known for besides Chrome Android and search). Google's got a web store called the Chrome Webstore. This marketplace showcases web applications and makes them easy to find. I'm a Google fanatic, and use just about all of their services. You can start using the majority of the CR-48's features by using Chrome on your desktop OS. On the new tab page theres an option to get to the web store.

So if you can do most of this on your desktop computer, why is a Chrome notebook attractive? Well, its seriously easy to setup and use. Because I use Chrome on my other computers and have a Google account with everything synced (my bookmarks,preferences, etc) setup took a minute... all I had to do was sign into my Google account and everything is synced right over. Great part about living on the web? If I ever lose this computer I never lose any of my data. This video was put out by Google a few months ago to show that:

Last edited by Justin on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:08 am

Justin wrote:Web apps can be ran from any browser on any computer (not just a CR-48). For example, ever get on Facebook? Yep, thats a web app. Some are free, some are not. Google has many web apps (thats what they're known for besides Chrome Android and search). Google's got a web store called the Chrome Webstore. This marketplace showcases web applications and makes them easy to find. I'm a Google fanatic, and use just about all of their services. You can start using the majority of the CR-48's features by using Chrome on your desktop OS. On the new tab page theres an option to get to the web store.

So if you can do most of this on your desktop computer, why is a Chrome notebook attractive? Well, its seriously easy to setup and use. Because I use Chrome on my other computers and have a Google account with everything synced (my bookmarks,preferences, etc) setup took a minute... all I had to do was sign into my Google account and everything is synced right over. Great part about living on the web? If I ever lose this computer I never lose any of my data. This video was put out by Google a few months ago to show that:

Right. I know there are web apps apart from Google (which can be run from any computer). I just assumed that there are apps specifically designed for the CR-48, and I was wondering if THOSE apps are free or not. But you already answered that question, so that's cool.

Btw, did you know you can include a youtube video in your post here by wrapping the youtube link in [youtube] tags?
    Justin
    Justin

Post by Justin Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 am

Yeah, just forgot to...

To answer your question, yes... there are some apps specifically for the CR-48, but none of those apps are available in the Chrome web store (they come pre-installed). They aren't all that major. A simple notebook app, and a Google Talk app... thats about it.
    johndel
    Low Poster
    Low Poster

Post by johndel Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:43 am

None of the original links work any more. Any chance this program could be re-posted? Sounds incredibly useful.
    Coolname007
    Coolname007
    ETS Director
    ETS Director

Post by Coolname007 Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Hey, johndel. Welcome to the ETS Discussion Hall, and sorry there hasn't been much activity here lately. I've been pretty busy, and haven't had time to work on the site.

As to your comment, yes the Compatibility Sword program written by member Justin White is no longer available at the links he provided. I believe (though I haven't discussed it with him yet) that that is because he removed his websites which was sharing it, though I don't know why he did that. However, after reading your post, since I have the program myself, I simply moved it to a location where you can access it, by clicking on the following link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8029532/CSword/CSword.exe

Cheers! Basketball

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:26 pm